Friday, July 15, 2011

"The Great Encyclopedias of Legal Research"

A very nice post appeared yesterday in slaw under the above title. This will be the first in a series of posts written by Gary Rodrigues dealing with "Encyclopedias" of legal research. The first of these posts talk about what the Encyclopedias are, and what they have that have made them so authoritative for many years. Even today, they are still an indispensable tool when doing legal research.

I know that in my teaching, I always tell my students about these encyclopedias, whether it is the CED's (Canadian Encyclopedic Digest), the Canadian Abridgment, or Halsbury's Laws of Canada. It is one of the things the first year students learn how to do in their legal process course. Unfortunately, most students don't realize the value of these Encyclopedias. They are, I think, one of the first stops students should make in their research quest. We all know as librarians however, that most students will go right to the cases (or worse, to Google) and then get frustrated.

With many of these digests now online, they are available in a different format, but I would argue that in many ways, the online format isn't as good as the print. Trying to find your way can be a bit messy. But, that's my own opinion.

Look at the post here

No comments: